Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Want a big raise?

I'm talking about 50%, or even a doubling of your wages. Want to know what to do?

John Taylor Gatto's work suggests a powerful method; get rid of your manager. No, not by hiring someone from the Mob. No, no, no!

Rather, Gatto (again, no, not Gotti!) reminds us that 13% of wage-earners in the USA were managers a few years back--and that includes millions of small businesses having no manager at all. Contrast that with about 4% in Japan, and add in HR, PR, Benefits, and other "helper" organizations, and you'll find that "overhead" costs take a disproportionate share (I'm guessing 30% or more in most companies) of resources available to "the help." Put simply, managing people is a difficult enterprise, and takes a lot of work.

So how do you give yourself that raise? Work in such a way that your manager doesn't have a lot to do, or find a way to ply your trade as an entrepreneur.

3 comments:

MPochop said...

Hola Bubba!
I agree with your take on self-entrepreneurship. It does kick the pants off of every other way to make a living.

Of course there are some problem areas that I haven't solved entirely yet. One being the benefits angle (i.e.insurance for myself, insurance for family) Fortunately that is a bridge that I don't have to cross as of yet, as my spouse is still working and has great benefits.

Anonymous said...

If society was constructed in such a way as to perserving our families, and enhancing the well-being of them, I really don't think that institutions such as insurance companies would not be needed.

MPochop said...

I could go along with that David...except there will always be the "rogues" who spill coffee in their laps and hold a private corporation accountable.

I don't believe it's the insurance companies that are making the push for these types of class actions...I believe it's ambulance chasing lawyers. (as opposed to those who wait at the emergency room door!) ;->