Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Calvinism vs. Arminianism

I've been asked to comment about the doctrinal and ecclesiological impacts of the teaching of Calvin and Arminius. Not having read any of their works, I'm at something of a disadvantage, but then again, I've heard a lot of others who have never read either debating the issues ad infinitum. It has something to do with divine sovereignty and human responsibility, I'm told.

So here goes. Does the Bible teach God's sovereignty? Yes. Does it teach human responsibility? Absolutely. Does it teach security in His care? You betcha. Does it teach about a sin which cannot be forgiven? Yup.

Do I understand completely how all of these Biblical doctrines are reconciled? Nope, and I'm under the impression that neither did Calvin nor Arminius. They do now, of course. I think I'll eagerly try to learn as much as I can until He straightens me out on the issues.

Side note: a friend tells me that one of Arminius' theological heroes was....Calvin, whose work he valued second only to the Bible. Interesting footnote to all of these debates, eh?

5 comments:

Mercy Now said...

I'd get into a debate but that was when I was young and naive. I'd tell you how one superceeds the other in a systematic manner but in the end though, it comes down to the mysteries of God. The Calvinist has it all up in his head but does little in action whereas the Arminian does not have it all systematically but goes out and evangelize like crazy. We need to learn to do both as all of us are on the same team.

Bike Bubba said...

Interestingly, among those I know who have actually read Calvin (OK, small sample, but let's go with it), they're very active in evangelism. It's only in the "frozen chosen" rendition that it dies, it seems.

We'll need to choose another thing to argue about, but I don't think we've been very good about that. (sorry?)

Praying for your friend, too...how did it come out?

Mercy Now said...

The biopsy went very well. I guess you're a righteous man cuz God listens to the prayers of the righteous so thanks! No tumors so they think its an infection of some sort. We'll see.

Bike Bubba said...

"Unprofitable servant," bro. Glad to hear a "yes" from Him who answers.

Anonymous said...

mercy now said,

"The Calvinist has it all up in his head but does little in action "

- if you were to read a decent biography on Calvin, you'd see he worked tirelessly in ministry. He believed divine sovereignty was the only reason we have hope for a lost world and he preached and evangilized to those ends. Likewise, many, many, good devout Christians for believe as Calvin did work ferevently for the gospel sake around the world. Please don't make such board and sweeping judgments unless your sure to that which you speak.