Friday, December 01, 2006

Skimming the newspaper,

I am SHOCKED, SHOCKED, I tell you that such and such a celebrity has been caught on film or tape doing such and such a thing!

Wait a minute. No, I'm not. All publicity is good publicity for most of them, and what isn't simply fits into the self-destructive lifestyles so many of them are (alas) too well known for.

Who did I think I was kidding? :^)

Seriously, when we express outrage at the public actions of public figures, perhaps we need to take care lest we inadvertently give them exactly what they want--free publicity that helps them sell their product.

Somebody said once that we ought to be wise as snakes, yet innocent as doves. We are to warn people of sin, but discreetly, I dare say.

1 comment:

Mercy Now said...

Unfortunately, bad publicity is better than no publicity. The other down side to this is that the people go out and buy their products for whatever reason as soon as they hear about it, e.g. OJ's book. Then the question is why are people interested in evil in the first place?