From time to time, I see people's ratings of cool automobiles, but generally they don't have crucial features like the ability to tow a boat, gracefully carry a deer or elk carcass, or safely convey a horde of screaming kids. Somehow most car writers really appear to think that "coolness" in cars translates mostly to a couple or sports car with leather seats.
Horsefeathers! Here's Bike Bubba's list of the top eleven cool vehicles. No currently available car ranks up with the all time winner (Buick Roadmaster station wagon), but these are pretty good and available today without 150,000 miles on them.
1. The Chevrolet Suburban/GMC Yukon XL. Room for 8 or 9, V8 power, 4 wheel drive, and space for stuff to boot. The new version gets pretty decent mileage, too.
2. The new Toyota Sienna. Having grown up in steel country and gone to school in Michigan, I hate to admit this, but they've done a good job. Seating for eight, towing, and available all wheel drive.
3. The Chevy Venture/Uplander/Pontiac Montana/etc.. Not quite as much power as the Sienna, and the new Uplander lacks seating for eight. However, it's got the most space of all the minivans.
4. The Chevy Express/GMC Savannah 1 ton van. Not as good of mileage as a minivan, but plenty of space and a 350cid V-8 that every backyard mechanic in the world has worked on at one time or another. Seating for up to 15 people, and it can fit in your garage.
5/6 Ford Econoline/Dodge Sprinter 3/4 and 1 ton. Trails the Chevy/GMC because they're too tall for most garages.
7. Chevy/GMC 1/2 ton van. Seating for eight, good towing, good mileage, fits in the garage. Low weight capacity drops this one below the 1 ton.
8. Chevy Tahoe/GMC Yukon. Seating for up to eight, towing, good mileage due to displacement on demand. Lower than the Suburban because it doesn' t have space for stuff.
9. Ford Freestyle; seating for seven, towing, continuously variable transmission. Just not enough room.
10. Honda Odyssey. Scores high on passengers, power, features, safety, and towing. Why can't they fix the styling on this one?
11. Chevrolet Corvette. If you have one of these, you can sell it and buy a Suburban, or any other top 10 car! (or ten used Roadmasters)
Honorable mention; GMC Acadia, Ford Expedition, Chevy/GMC Trailblazer, Toyota Sequoia (sp?), Ford Freestar, Chrysler/Dodge minivans and Dodge Magnum. All are downgraded due to lack of size. Crew cab pickups of all makes also make honorable mention.
Advice on Being a Man from 8 Friendly Neighborhood Barbers - *This post brought to you by Old Spice. Use new Re-Fresh body spray and spray goodbye to your boyhood.* Life advice from 7 different barbers at different...
7 hours ago