Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Accountability groups

Anthony Bradley has a series going on about how he and others consider accountability groups to be "lame"; ineffective at best, legalistic and distracting from Christ at worst. One the one hand, I agree, but on the other, I must remember that it's easy to say what's wrong with Baptists like myself. Fixing the problem, on the other hand, involves a little bit more work. :^)

So here's a stab at it, and emphatically from a Baptist perspective. If you want to get to know a man, learn what's on his heart, and encourage him in Christ, you've got to sit down and eat with him, preferably something nice and fattening.

Other possibilities include working with him, or possibly playing golf or shooting skeet. The fact remains, though, that the radical feminists are wrong; the best way to a man's heart is not by going between his 7th and 8th ribs with a well-sharpened K-bar, but rather through his stomach with some fries or barbeque. Give it a try and encourage your brother.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would definitely agree with the golf test. Over the course of 18 holes there will always be moments when things are going well and going bad, time to sit and chat, tell jokes, gripe about work, etc. You'll know if the guys' competitive, if he's an encourager, if he plays by the rules, etc. It's the perfect psychological test; and it's fun to boot.

Does the MOB have a golf tournament, I'd be up for that.

kingdavid

Bike Bubba said...

I dunno, but after golfing an 85 for NINE in my first time out, I know my honesty is tested by that game!

W.B. Picklesworth said...

Yes there is a golf tournament. It is organized by Learned Foot at Koolaid Report. It's called the Millard Fillmore Invitational.

Mark said...

I must confess to being nearly as good at golf as Bubba claims...

I must also confess that it has been a long time since I sat around a table of fattening pizza with my friends...

I'll have to do something about at least one of those.