Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Keith Ellison's comments about the President

Evidently certain portions of the political world are outraged that Keith Ellison, the first Muslim Congressman, has compared Bush's policies to Hitler's burning of the Reichstag building and imposition of dictatorial law on Germany. While outrage at the comparison of republican government to the start of the Holocaust is certainly justified, one factor seems to have been largely ignored.

Specifically, it's a known fact that Mein Kampf is a best-seller in many Muslim lands, and that in Iran, they even had a Holocaust denial conference at which Neo-Nazis were quite welcome.

Knowing this, were Ellison's comments an insult, or a clumsy attempt at a compliment? :^)

(seriously, I have no reason to suggest that Ellison is a Nazi, but he has kept company with some who are)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember reading a StarTrib report on Ellison that mentioned whenver asked why he converted to Islam, he simply said, "it just felt right." That's good. I can see how Muslims everywhere can look to him as a representative of Muslim principles. I think I'm more of a deep thinker than he is, and that's not saying much.

My theory is that there must have been some hot chick in the local Muslim club, so he joined.

kingdavid

Shawn said...

there's hot chicks at the muslim club? where! I wanna join!

crap! see...that gets me every time.

Bike Bubba said...

I take it that Angel was a Presbyterian first, Shawn? :^)

(evaluation of her "hotness" based on your response to and delight in her, for what it's worth...a goofy happy husband tells more about a woman's beauty than any camera ever could)