Monday, December 17, 2007

Winter joy and real hot chocolate


It took him a minute or two to figure out what fun this was, but here's my boy's first time in a snowbank. Unfortunately, he's too young to enjoy real hot chocolate.
Real hot chocolate? You bet. My mom just returned from a trip to Croatia, and they make a hot chocolate there that is worthy of the name. Here's my best attempt to duplicate it:
1 bar (100 grams) Lindt 99% cacao chocolate bar
2 cups milk
4-6 tbsp sugar, or to taste
nutmeg to taste
Mix ingredients in saucepan and heat to almost boiling--this is what it takes to really melt it. Half fill cups with liquid and add more milk to cool it/get it to proper strength, or possibly a shot of espresso & cream. There will be little bubbles of fat (cocoa butter) on top.
Remember, flavenoids are good for you, and God is good to provide them.
Update: I've been trying to find the "truly authentic" type of recipe for Croatian hot chocolate, and it turns out that it's a very thick concoction, kinda like semi-liquid pudding. Unfortunately, I don't know Croatian, so I can't update the recipe to make it more authentic.
Maybe make pudding with good chocolate, but halve the cornstarch and add a few ounces of heavy cream?
Mmmm......

4 comments:

Shawn said...

what's that in the background? a wolf eating a caribou?

You guys have those in the town center, right?

Bike Bubba said...

I was going to correct you and let you know it was only my dog, but I like your story so much better, I don't think I will. :^)

imfreenow.blogspot.com said...

Cute cute baby pic!

Bike Bubba said...

Thanks--my family thinks so, too, obviously.