Monday, March 03, 2008

Four, or five, or one great reason to homeschool.

Check this out. Vox Day reports on reasons for existence cited by the College of Education at Cal State-Sacramento:

There are four main goals that we have and will continue to focus on in the college, which are expressed in the acronym TEACH:

Transformative Leadership
Equity and Social Justice
Action
Collaboration
Human Differences and Diversity


Apparently, "counting to five" does not appear to be one of the strengths of the college, and it's also apparently not terribly important that students learn to read or think for themselves. However, it looks like their graduates will have political correctness down pat when they enter the kindergarten classroom to read Heather Has Two Mommies to their charges.

I visited the website of the college. For some reason, they don't have their newer newsletters online. If this is representative of their work, I can't blame them.

7 comments:

Joey said...

Amen to that! I was home-schooled all the way through high school...my parents gave me the option of going to public school in high school. I decided freedom and flexibility were much more accessible at home.

Anonymous said...

How about,

"How to Teach"?
"What students need to learn"?
"Dealing with difficult children"?

How is it that neither the content nor the methodology of teaching form any part of the goals of the college of education?

Bike Bubba said...

Of THIS particular college of education, to be fair, but all of the people I knew in the College of Education when I was getting my degrees agreed that, well, there was a part of their curriculum that wasn't particularly useful.

Linda Shrock Taylor has a great column on this today on www.lewrockwell.com.

Joey said...

I was a secondary education major for 2 1/2 years. There's a reason I left it...

Bike Bubba said...

Cost #2 of Mickey Mouse in schools of education; highly qualified people quit the program, leaving the classroom to (rhetorically speaking) Annette.

Anonymous said...

Clarification taken. I didn't mean to imply all schools of education, merely "an institution that calls itself a school of education does such and such."

Bike Bubba said...

Yes, but the general claim isn't as far from the truth as it should be. I'm hard pressed to find a teacher from any major, secular university who said that their college of "education" classes were useful.