Monday, June 30, 2008

Hint for my DC readers...

....if there are any. :^) At any rate, the Washington Times today makes it very clear that gun-banning cities are going to be very slow to comply with the letter of the recent Heller decision, and even when the courts compel them to comply with the letter, compliance with the spirit of that decision will be nil.

Combine that with the fact that gun dealers aren't allowed to sell handguns across state lines, and you have a very big problem. How do you protect yourself and your family?

Here's your ticket. For some reason, most firearms laws exempt black powder firearms, and this includes the Brady check. If you should have the misfortune of living in the nation's most pathetic nanny district, Dick Cabela will help you to remind criminals that yes, indeed, the Heller decision is law.

Plus, black powder guns are a lot of fun at the range. This is mine (the percussion, left hand version, .50 cal). I also highly recommend the starter kit--it is the difference between a great time at the range (or elsewhere), and just struggling to get going.

4 comments:

Mark said...

I got to fire one like that a couple of times during my NRA pistol training course. It was quite nice! Not a lot of kick since the powder burns a little more slowly. I hit the "rabbit" both times.

The head instructor couldn't do it - he had a hard time with the idea of a slow ignition happening a few inches from his eyes. Go figure!

Mark said...

Oh! Sorry, that was the flintlock I was talking about, not percussion.

It's even more "old school" but I think that I like it better. Maybe I wouldn't if I really had to use it to feed my family, though.

Bike Bubba said...

Maybe the lead instructor needs to remember a little thing called safety goggles? Sparks fly out even from the percussion caps, though.

Mark said...

There weren't sparks. He just wasn't good with the suspense: You pull the trigger, it goes click, wait, and then bang. Different from modern firearms!