Monday, July 07, 2008

Have they ever heard of "prayer"?

Apparently, a Messianic Jewish pastor is leading a drive to get as many Christians as possible to blow the shofar (ceremonial ram's horn trumpet in Judiasm) at the feast of Trumpets this fall to get the attention of the Messiah.

Now, I treasure the intrinsic Yiddishkeit that is at the core of my faith. Inasmuch as we don't forget that our Anointed One has come once, I think this pastor is 100% correct that goyesh (Gentile) Christians would do well to celebrate the pictures of Christ that are in the Jewish calendar. (I draw the line at Yom Kippur; Christians observe that one on Good Friday) I even think that one could bring the shofar into a church service and improve most congregant's understanding of their faith.

However, I'm not convinced that we need to "get the attention" of an omniscient Maschiach, and if we do want to communicate with Him--and I hope we all do--isn't there a time-honored method called "prayer"?

No comments: