Saturday, January 31, 2009

A hint for your inner pyromaniac

I highly recommend Polly Clingerman's The Kitchen Companion, which is a rarity; a book about how to cook, instead of a cookbook. The difference?

Clingerman goes into the chemistry and physics of applied domestic pyromania (cooking is, after all, the creative use of fire on food, no?), and lets the reader learn how to create his own recipes. How did she arrive at the point of being able to do this? Surely she is a graduate of a prestigious cooking school like the Culinary Institute of America or the Cordon Bleu, right?

Wrong. She's a graduate of one of the toughest cooking schools in the world; being a diplomat's wife, learning to provide acceptable entertainment on a moment's notice without the plethora of choices available in American supermarkets. Her experience led to a thick volume of notes, which in turn led to the publishing of this book.

The highest praise I can offer here; prior to receiving this, I was a good cook but rarely quite understood what I was doing. Now, I'm starting to learn what magic is going on in that pan.

Job search update; resume is updated and is being sent out. Am investigating opportunities both in my current field of expertise (electrical engineering/quality/reliability) and elsewhere (financial/actuarial). Have also fixed the family toboggan, made panniers for my bike, made a kennel for my younger dog, fixed a utility trailer, and have taken a lot more time with my kids' homeschooling. I'm also getting a bit in shape. Hopefully this is an opportunity I don't squander, and thanks to those who keep me honest in searching by asking those questions.

5 comments:

Jim Peet said...

Thanks for the updates. We continue to uphold you in prayer.

God bless, Jim

Anonymous said...

Actuaries are in pretty good shape these days. I don't think any of them were let go in our wave of "expense reductions" - well except for our CEO at the top of the global heap in Amsterdam, but I'm sure he got lovely parting gifts.

Of course, it's not an easy discipline to get into, and requires you to pass a series of tests after you're hired that each require about 400 hours of study in order to prepare. But once you're in, it's "keys to the kingdom", baby.

Some actuarial humor: What is 2 + 2?
Mathematician: 4
Accountant: It depends.
Actuary: What do you want it to equal?

Anonymous said...

Actually, I think the mathematician's answer would be, "Base 3 or base 10?"

That sounds like an excellent book. It just went in my Amazon wish list.

Mark said...

wait... Your dog is getting younger?!?

Jacksprat said...

Sounds like a great book -- I love the chemistry side of cooking, too. Can I recommend a couple of sites that you might enjoy reading occasionally?

Cooking for Engineers: http://www.cookingforengineers.com

America's Test Kitchen (especially the Science Desk): http://americastestkitchen.com

I, too, am a pyromaniac, from the perspective that I don't believe one can properly cook (sear) a good steak without setting off the fire alarm, despite having the kitchen fan on full blast. It ain't dinner if the fire department doesn't show up!