Friday, January 16, 2009

I guess we can call it a depression now....

Yup, your host got cut by his company Wednesday--not a huge surprise, given that sales were down 40% and the company's debt exceeds the market cap significantly, and apparently overall liabilities are triple market cap. (hint; now is not a good time to invest in the world's largest disk drive maker....and suppliers are even worse in terms of leverage) Thankfully, severance was generous, so our family is doing fine for now, and I'm sleeping better than I have for a long time the past couple of days. God is good.

And if you're looking for another reason to homeschool, here you go thanks to Apple-cow-ski. Apparently, the bio-diesel mandated for use by school districts for their buses turns into jelly at about ten degrees below zero, clogging fuel injectors and such. So if you'd prefer that your children NOT stand out in 25 below zero cold (up to 50 below windchill yesterday) for hours waiting for a bus, and if you'd prefer that your children NOT sit for hours on that bus when it stalls, you might want to take your children out of the government's schools.

Yet another example of how, yes, environmentalism can injure and kill people.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm very sorry to hear this. I'm glad to hear that you have severance et al, but BTDT, and it's tough.

As for the other thing, I generally don't like these "you should homeschool because of school buses" arguments. (Excepting of course, those that relate to things that happen on school buses because of behavioral issues that don't and won't happen in my home.) My cars break down, too, and it could well happen on a cold day. I've gotten in a couple of accidents, and some years my kids have racked up a lot more road miles than they would have in a bus precisely because they were homeschooled, and school bus road miles are statistically safer than private vehicle road miles.

However, I do agree with the larger "environmentalism kills" angle. BOY do I agree with that.

Bike Bubba said...

Thanks--and I wouldn't do the bus thing, either, except that we've here got a law that the teachers' union has GOT to approve of that is artificially crippling the buses at the worst possible time. Somewhat different than the starter going out on the old minivan, I dare say.

Gino said...

losing the job suck, and i'm sorry to hear happen to you.

luckily, for me, i'll be on disability for a very long time while i recover from the evil that was done to me.
in CA, the employers cant lay off employees on state disability.
(also, i got lots of seniority,anyway)

Terry Lange said...

So what are you looking for in a new job and where will you look?

Jim Peet said...

Dear Bert,

Will add you to our prayer list. Let me know if I can help you out.

My nephew was laid off from Seagate too (I'll tell you his name at church)

Love and prayers

Jim and Kathee

Mr. D said...

Sorry to hear about this, BB. Will definitely pray for you. Will also keep my ears open for potential opportunities.

Elspeth said...

Sorry about the job, BB.

In my prayers.

MainiacJoe said...

Sorry to hear about the job, Bert. I'm glad your spirits are good.

Guitarman said...

My company let 6 of it's 10 employees (me included) go last Tuesday. Today is my last day. I'm in the construction business. Structual planning end of things. Hey, at least I'm finding time to blog a bit more!