Wednesday, May 04, 2011

A very real location of racism?

Regrettably, I'm not one who can say that I've not come into contact with very real racism.  Being of the fishbelly white variety, most of my personal shudders have been at the "white on black" or "white on brown" variety.  That said, Fred Reed reports on something that, for obvious reasons, isn't reaching the papers; black on white racism in the inner city.

Now I've not seen this in my times in the inner city--going to Compton for outreaches in the summers of 1994 and 1995, building houses with Habitat in Dallas, going out to eat near the LA Coliseum, attending track meets in Gary, as well as going along Stony Island in Chicago on the way to Chicago's museums as a child, and so on.  That said, maybe it wasn't the right situation--let's just say I wasn't walking in residential or business areas after dark, to put it mildly, and the church members, businessmen, and athletes I was around weren't exactly prime recruiting ground for the Gangster Disciples.

On the flip side, I have seen what Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, and Jeremiah Wright say when they don't think anyone is watching.  I don't know the absolute truth here, but if indeed the media is hushing these incidents, it needs to stop--pretending to "protect" people from the rightful consequences of their actions isn't helping anyone here. 

4 comments:

Elspeth said...

As a black American, I thought I'd chime in and say that I think it's wrong for the media or anyone else to pull the covers over black on white racism and racially motivated crime.

I think it's equally disturbing when "racial oppression" is used as a way to excuse and defend said criminal behavior.

Bike Bubba said...

Terry, I was hoping you'd say something. Do you think that the media does pull the shades on this?

Elspeth said...

Yes, BB, I'm afraid they do in many cases. And when they don't, they often become apologists for the perpetrators either through blaming the victim or playing the "poor, oppressed, and desperate" card.

Bike Bubba said...

Nasty stuff.....that said, I'm thinking my question was somewhat foolish.....even if I know I'm talking with a man of whatever color who hates my guts because of who I am, I don't know that I'm going to get anywhere by mentioning I've figured it out!