Saturday, December 24, 2011

An insult I'm glad to see

Evidently the President of South Africa is blaming Christians for the existence of orphanages and homes for the old, claiming that european influences are responsible for a breakdown in the extended family.  Because, of course, it's not like Moses told us to honor our father and mother or anything. 

So what are the older ways Jacob Zuma is referring to?  Well, here is a quick history of some of the peoples of South Africa prior to European colonization.  As far as I can tell, there were plenty of orphans being created by the wars of the Zulus and others, but on the "bright" side, those same wars did reduce the need for homes for the aged by....well, greatly reducing the likelihood that someone would survive to become aged.

I think I'll take my faith even if it does reach out to help the orphan and the widow, thank you very much, over what apparently is Jacob Zuma's preferred alternative.

No comments: