Monday, April 09, 2012

A good Easter.....and there's that cake again

....and my 43rd birthday, too.  Not that often that Resurrection Day takes place on my birthday, but hey, I'm glad to have that blessed event make people pay less attention to getting old!  At least until my fourth daughter tells everyone and their brother that it's my birthday.

Above is a picture of me, my mom, and my brother at a birthday celebration just a couple of years ago--my brother's 2nd, perhaps.  In looking through old family pictures, the refrain became "there's that cake again."  Why so?  Well, because 3/4 of the family always wanted the same cake--my mom went for carrot cake, much to my chagrin.  Thankfully my tastes have matured....somewhat.  So here's the recipe for "that cake."  I assure you--as does my daughter--that it will help your diet.  At least if you're trying to get to the real Banquet more quickly.


Dark Chocolate Cake 

½ Cup Cocoa                  ½ cup cold water   ½ t. salt    2 t. baking soda   2/3 cup margarine
1 2/3 c. sugar     2 eggs    1 cup buttermilk   2 c. flour   1 t. vanilla
350 F                       2-  9” layers
Mix cocoa, water salt and soda. Let stand while creaming butter and sugar till light and fluffy. Beat in eggs. Add cocoa mixture. Add flour and buttermilk alternately starting and ending with flour. Beat in vanilla. Spoon into prepared pans.
Bake at 350 F for 25- 30 minutes.

Mocha Icing

1 # confectioners/powdered sugar
½ c. cocoa
¼ tsp salt
3T. soft Margarine/Butter
1 t.  vanilla
Hot  coffee

Combine sugar cocoa and salt. Add margarine and vanilla. Pour in hot coffee one Tablespoon at a time beating till smooth thick and spreadable.

2 comments:

Gino said...

happy birthday Bubba. my 48th was Good Friday this year.

i may try that cake recipe. i'll let you know how it turns out.

Mark said...

Happy Bertday to you!

It's also Thomas's birthday, as well. Cool!