Thursday, September 13, 2012

Real men wear pink....

Earlier this summer, I noticed that (a) I did not have very many short sleeved shirts for a hot summer and (b) that in the past, shirts and coats for summer use were of linen--that material being apparently just as cool or cooler than cotton.  At the same time, my wife and I agreed that most of the shirts I was wearing tended to have a lump form in the fabric behind my neck (my shoulders are squarer than most men's) and come untucked when I lift up my arms.

And so it was tempting to try the classic art of draping--more or less starting with a "yoke" of cloth, fitting it to the shoulders and marking the highest point thereof, and then proceeding to build the rest of the shirt around that yoke.  It took a while, and quite a bit of "rework," but the below is our first completed product.  It's not perfect--we need to refine the collar a bit--but it doesn't have the hump behind the neck, and it doesn't come untucked when I raise my arms. 

If you, or someone you love, is hard to fit and you've got a knack for sewing (or would like to develop one), we can heartily recommend this book by David Coffin.  Oh, and here's the picture:


4 comments:

Jim Peet said...

What happened to the beard?

Bike Bubba said...

1. Summer

2. Job search

Gino said...

no vest pocket? wear do you put your pocket protector that every engineer must wear?

Bike Bubba said...

I wish you'd told me that before I lost three pocket protectors, Gino! :^)