Wednesday, April 08, 2015

Helping out an alma mater

Got a fundraising call from the institution that granted me my MSEE last night, and I asked the young man on the other end of the line who Buffs fans hate on now that they're not getting thrashed most years by the Cornhuskers.  He was thoughtful, and in light of the rather poor performance of the Bunnies (oops, Buffs) the past few years, he really couldn't identify any teams that could be rivals.

Looking at the schedules, one could posit that it might be the "Fightin' Utes" or the Rams of Colorado State, or possibly even the Rainbow Warriors of Hawai'i.  Now as appropriate as "Rainbow Warriors" would be as a rival to a politically correct campus like Boulder, I really don't think that the Bunnies' recent record of nonviolence on the gridiron can be adequately matched even by Hawai'i.

So who ought to be the rivals for the Bunnies?  I really don't think they need to look outside Boulder for a worthy rival, the "meditating monks in saffron robes" of Naropa University.   They've already got the incense down, too.

Don't ever say I never did anything for my alma mater now.  And for further hilarity, the Bunnies' football site has the banner "Sustainable Excellence Initiative" across the top.  Yup, that's what I think of when I think of a school that's gone 2-10, 4-8, 1-10, and 3-9 in the last four seasons.  What about "Return to Mediocrity" instead?

No comments: